Some other Business, Travel and Sport courses
Alternatively view the full A-Z course listing
The BTEC Level 2 Award in Sport is an excellent choice for students who wish to learn more about training for personal fitness, practical sport and delivering a leadership session in sport.
What goes well with this course?
All sports courses are diverse and cover a range of sport related topics including anatomical, psychological and sociological aspects of Sport. This means a wide range of subjects work well with Sport Studies, including:
- Public Services
- Core Science
This stimulating and challenging vocational course will provide students with a strong grounding for further study such as the BTEC Level 3 Certificate in Sport or the basis for pursuing a career in Sport and Recreation.
The Award is a one year course that is the equivalent to one GCSE at grade A* to C.
- Fitness for Sport and Exercise (exam): students learn about the different components of fitness, methods of training, how to carry out various different fitness tests and how to determine exercise intensity.
- Practical Sport (coursework): students participate in two sports, analysing their performances and setting future targets and training methods.
- Leadership (coursework): students will study the attributes and responsibilities of a sports leader, learn how to plan sports leadership sessions, deliver a sports leadership session and review the planning and leading of the delivered session.
- Training for Personal Fitness (coursework): the students will learn how to collect and interpret personal information with which they will then use to design and implement a training programme. They will also study the principles of training and how these are considered when planning a training programme.
Download the BTEC Level 2 Award in Sport information leaflet.
In preparation for the first year of this course, please take a look at our Starting with Confidence leaflet, which will give you a head start when you begin the course in September.
Course Specific Trips, Visits & Experiences
BTEC Level 2 Award in Sport students have the opportunity to take part in a variety of course related experiences. In the last couple of years, these have included:
- a visit to the Spectrum Leisure Centre, Guildford, where students had the opportunity to research health and safety issues to support study of the ‘Injury in Sport’ unit of their course
The exam board for this BTEC Level 2 is Pearson BTEC.
Students must have some C and D grades at GCSE. If they have not already achieved Grade C in GCSE Maths and English they will be required to re-take them.
Students must be interested in and committed to a wide range of sports and also be keen to study sport in-depth. Students should be willing to take part in practical activities and be able to work with others.