Some other Business, Travel and Sport courses
Alternatively view the full A-Z course listing
The BTEC Level 2 Award in Sport is an excellent choice for students who wish to learn more about training for personal fitness, practical sport and delivering a leadership session in sport.
What goes well with this course?
All sports courses are diverse and cover a range of sport related topics including anatomical, psychological and sociological aspects of Sport. This means a wide range of subjects work well with Sport Studies, including:
- Public Services
- Core Science
This stimulating and challenging vocational course will provide students with a strong grounding for further study such as the BTEC Level 3 Certificate in Sport or the basis for pursuing a career in Sport and Recreation.
The Award is a one year course that is the equivalent to one GCSE at grade A* to C.
- Fitness for Sport and Exercise (exam): students learn about the different components of fitness, methods of training, how to carry out various different fitness tests and how to determine exercise intensity.
- Practical Sport (coursework): students participate in two sports, analysing their performances and setting future targets and training methods.
- Leadership (coursework): students will study the attributes and responsibilities of a sports leader, learn how to plan sports leadership sessions, deliver a sports leadership session and review the planning and leading of the delivered session.
- Training for Personal Fitness (coursework): the students will learn how to collect and interpret personal information with which they will then use to design and implement a training programme. They will also study the principles of training and how these are considered when planning a training programme.
Download the BTEC Level 2 Award in Sport information leaflet.
In preparation for the first year of this course, please take a look at our Starting with Confidence leaflet, which will give you a head start when you begin the course in September.
Course Specific Trips, Visits & Experiences
BTEC Level 2 Award in Sport students have the opportunity to take part in a variety of course related experiences. In the last couple of years, these have included:
- a visit to the Spectrum Leisure Centre, Guildford, where students had the opportunity to research health and safety issues to support study of the ‘Injury in Sport’ unit of their course
- wheelchair basketball
The exam board for this BTEC Level 2 is Pearson BTEC.
Students must have some C and D grades at GCSE. If they have not already achieved Grade C in GCSE Maths and English they will be required to re-take them.
Students must be interested in and committed to a wide range of sports and also be keen to study sport in-depth. Students should be willing to take part in practical activities and be able to work with others.