This course is suitable for students who don’t qualify for Level 3 (A Level equivalent) courses.
It offers an ideal introduction to Health and Social Care for students who may be considering it as a career. It is a one year course that leads to a qualification equivalent to one GCSE (at Grades 9-4).
Topics covered include Human Lifespan Development, Health and Social Care Values, Social Influences on Health and Wellbeing and Promoting Health and Wellbeing.
Students are expected to take four Level 2 courses. The Health & Social Care course goes well with most other Level 2 subjects:
- Information & Creative Technology
- Public Services
- Travel & Tourism
- Biology (GCSE)
Students who didn’t achieve a Grade 4 in English and Maths at GCSE are expected to study these subjects alongside their Level 2 courses.
If this course is completed successfully students can go on to study Health & Social Care BTEC Level 3 Extended Certificate or a variety of other BTEC Level 3 and A Level courses.
Topics covered on this course include:
- Human Lifespan Development
- Health & Social Care Values
- Social Influences on Health & Wellbeing
- Promoting Health & Wellbeing
Within this subject students enhance their learning through a variety of methods, such as attending talks from visiting professionals and visits to exhibitions, conferences and health fairs. Additional teaching methods used include real life case studies to develop the students understanding of the diverse range of individual needs.
Course Specific Trips, Visits & Experiences
The Level 2 students have many opportunities to take part in additional activities which support their learning:
- A Health Fair run by Reigate College’s Health & Social Care students. The students actively take part in the Health Fair along with visiting professionals.
- ‘Safe Drive Stay Alive’ at the Dorking Halls, where students are given a presentation by Surrey Fire and Rescue Service on ‘Safer Driving’.
- Hands-on experience in baby care where students are given the opportunity to take home a ‘Ready or Not Tot’, and interactive baby.
In addition to course specific experiences, students also have the opportunity to get involved in the College’s Activities Programme.
All students need to gain an experience of the work place during their time at College and for students studying vocational courses it should ideally be linked to one of their subject areas.
The course is assessed by 75% coursework with one external exam.
The exam board for the BTEC Level 2 Award is Pearson BTEC.
In order to study this course, students will need a minimum of four GCSEs or equivalent at Grade 3 or above and a satisfactory school reference.
This course will suit students if they:
- Demonstrate an interest in the caring professions
- Show willingness to learn
- Are able to meet coursework deadlines
Students should enjoy and be good at working with others, communicating in speech and writing, planning their own learning and meeting deadlines. The ability to use information technology is also important.
How to Apply
Applications for entry September 2023
Please apply (from 27 September 2022) via the link on this page: www.reigate.ac.uk/apply
Please see the Admissions timetable for information about the College’s enrolment process.