This Level 2 course is suitable for students who don’t qualify for Level 3 (A Level equivalent) courses.
The BTEC Level 2 Award in Sport is an excellent choice for students who wish to learn more about training for personal fitness and personal training, practical sports performance and the mind and sports performance.
All sports courses are diverse and cover a range of sport related topics including anatomical, psychological and sociological aspects of Sport. This means a wide range of subjects work well with Sport, including:
- Public Services
- Information & Creative Technology
- GCSE Biology
This stimulating and challenging vocational course will provide students with a strong grounding for further study such as the BTEC Level 3 Extended Certificate in Sport. It will also suit students looking to pursue a career in Sport and Recreation.
The Award is a one year course that is the equivalent to one GCSE at grade 9-4.
There are four units in the Award course:
- Fitness for Sport and Exercise (exam): students learn about the different components of fitness, methods of training, how to carry out various fitness tests and how to determine exercise intensity.
- Practical Sport (coursework and practical assessment): students participate in two sports, analysing their performances and setting future targets and training methods.
- Introduction to Personal Training (coursework): Students will design, implement and evaluate a personal fitness training programme. They will also learn about the musculoskeletal system and cardiorespiratory system and the effects on the body during fitness training.
- The mind and Sports Performance (coursework): this unit looks at concepts influencing the mind in sporting situations and explores the possible effects on sports performance. Students will learn about personality, arousal, anxiety, motivation and self-confidence.
Course Specific Trips, Visits & Experiences
BTEC Level 2 Award in Sport students have the opportunity to take part in a variety of course related experiences. In the last couple of years, these have included:
- Visits to local sports clubs
- Sports Awards ceremony
In addition to course specific experiences, students also have the opportunity to get involved in the College’s Activities Programme.
All students need to gain an experience of the work place during their time at College and for students studying vocational courses it should ideally be linked to one of their subject areas.
This course is a combination of external assessment and coursework, so students must enjoy written work. The assessment methods are varied and range from posters to practical assessments. One unit will be externally assessed through an exam, with three coursework units. The exam board for this BTEC Level 2 is Pearson BTEC.
In order to study this course, students will need a minimum of four GCSEs or equivalent at Grade 3 or above and a satisfactory school reference.
If students have not achieved a Grade 4 in GCSE Maths and English they will be required to re-take them alongside this course.
Students should be willing to participate in a wide range of sports and happy to work with others.
How to Apply
Applications for entry September 2023
Please apply (from 27 September 2022) via the link on this page: www.reigate.ac.uk/apply
Please see the Admissions timetable for information about the College’s enrolment process.