Overview

This course is largely practical and focuses on visual communication skills, encouraging students to develop creative, innovative methods of expressing their personal vision. Students will carry out projects, in-depth research and critical analysis of the work of other photographers, designers and artists and will also work with a variety of both analogue and digital photographic techniques.

Click on the following links to view galleries from 2019 and 2018:

https://www.reigate.ac.uk/photo-galleries/photography-a-level-2/

https://www.reigate.ac.uk/photo-galleries/photography-a-level/

art-and-design-exhibition-2020

What goes well with this course?

Advanced Level courses in Photography, Art (Fine Art) and Graphics involve a high level of practical work, which is extremely time consuming. Although these three subjects complement each other, it is not advisable to take more than two because of the expected workload.

Progression

After studying Photography at A Level, students can either take a one-year foundation course at an Art College, or progress directly to a degree in Photography.

Photography A Level at Reigate College

Course Content

All work is based on set projects which are carefully designed to encourage students to achieve the assessment levels set by the exam board. As students will be working on individual projects, lessons tend to involve different activities for each student. Much of the teaching is focused on one-to-one tutorials, although there are also regular whole-class sessions. Reigate College is fortunate to have extremely talented teaching staff who are equipped with the specialist photographic knowledge necessary to both inspire students and help them reach their full potential.

Lessons vary in nature, but might include:

  • Listening to a lecture and taking notes
  • Giving a presentation of your own work
  • Researching a photographer or technique in a book or on the internet
  • Working in the photographic studio
  • Processing a film or working in the darkroom
  • Digitally manipulating images on the computer
  • Writing up the results of an experiment in a workbook
  • Gathering and discussing ideas in a group

Educational Experiences

Course Specific Trips, Visits & Experiences

Photography students are given the opportunity to take part in a variety of course-related experiences. In the last couple of years, these have included trips to:

  • London galleries
  • New York

Activities Programme

In addition to course specific experiences, students also have the opportunity to get involved in the College’s Activities Programme.

Work Experience

All students need to gain an experience of the work place during their time at College and for students studying vocational courses it should ideally be linked to one of their subject areas.

Assessment

There is an exam project worth 40% of the grade and the remaining 60% is coursework.

The exam board for A Level Photography is Pearson Edexcel.

Entry Requirements

All students need to have at least five GCSEs at Grade 4 or above (and a satisfactory school reference) in order to be accepted on an A Level/BTEC Level 3 Programme. 

In addition, students should meet the following minimum requirements:

  • Grade 5 or above in GCSE Art or Photography (if taken)

If Art/Photography wasn’t taken at GCSE Level, then a portfolio of work is required and should be taken to the student’s interview.  

Students will need full-time access to both a 35 mm film SLR camera and a Digital SLR (DSLR) camera.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can you explain the structure of the course?

The Photography A Level course is project based. Students work towards a visual solution to a theme, whilst learning photographic methods and techniques in group workshops and one-to-one guidance during lessons. The course covers both traditional analogue and digital photography techniques. The first year follows a more precise structure than the second year, during which students work towards a self- directed personal investigation project and respond to an externally-set exam theme.

What facilities are there in the Photography department?

The Photography department offers a fully functioning walk-in photographic studio, a darkroom for black and white film processing, and an editing suite comprising PCs equipped with Adobe Creative Suite including Photoshop, Illustrator and In-Design.

Does the course involve much writing?

Students are taught to critically analyse other photographers’ and artists’ work in-depth. They also write assessments and evaluations of their own work, including a minimum 1000 word essay during the second year of study. Students are not required to write under exam conditions.

Is there an exam in Photography?

Yes, there is an exam project which is set by the examining board in February of the Upper Sixth and runs until the end of the course. The exam project consists of several weeks of sketchbook research and preparation work, and a 15 hour timed test, during which students produce their final pieces for the project. The exam project is worth 40% of the overall grade and the remaining 60% is coursework.

What do students go on to do with their Photography A Level? What are the progression routes?

There is a vast choice of creative degrees and career options open to A Level Photography students. Many decide to study for an Art Foundation Diploma course at Art College. This free one year course allows students to explore their creative abilities, prepare a portfolio and decide which area of art interests them most.

Other students go on to study non-art related university courses at the UK’s top universities (including Oxbridge and the Russell Group) or pursue unrelated careers.  Employers and universities value the creativity, time management, analysis and problem solving skills students develop on the Photography A Level course.

Is there a cost implication to studying Photography at College? What equipment do I need?

Yes, there is a studio fee each year which covers some introductory materials and printing.  Students will need to cover the cost of printing on photographic paper. In 2020, the Lower Sixth fee was £40 and the upper Sixth fee £20.  In addition, students will need their own DSLR camera.

How to Apply

Applications for entry September 2021

Students from partner schools (Reigate, Warwick, de Stafford and Oakwood) should complete an online application under the guidance of their school.

All other applicants should download and return the 2021 application form.

All applications will be considered according to the College’s Admissions Policy.

Please see the Admissions timetable for information about the College’s enrolment process.

Back to top
Font Resize
Contrast
X
X